11.17.2012

The Purpose of My Life


I love it when I listen to songs I haven’t heard in a while and really pay attention to the lyrics. I had a line of this song stuck in my head the other night and realized that it fit so perfectly in the context of my life. And I haven’t listened to it in years! But the words are beautiful and ever pertinent today.
 
The song’s called “Purpose of My Life,” written by a very talented Lindsay Morton from Colorado, and it tells the story of a cloud—yes, a cloud. The cloud certainly does not think it is very important, but it knows that it has brought life to so many things on the earth by giving of its precious rain. It can never stay in one place for very long, nor can it linger to watch the growth of the plants it waters, but wherever the wind blows, it follows, and it has faith that the seeds it pours out upon will grow tall and beautiful.
 
How like us as Christians.
 
These are the full lyrics to her short, folksy ballad:
 
Purpose of My Life
 
Drifting above this world
Pouring out my love
Watching things that seem so little
Grow high into my,
Into my sky
But the wind will blow me away again,
And I will have to drift along
After watering the seeds that God planted—
This is the purpose of my life
Nothing special or significant
I go unnoticed most of the time
But all the things are so beautiful
That I’ve helped grow
But the wind will blow me away again
And I will have to drift along
After watering the seeds that God planted
This is the purpose of my life
Though I love the seeds,
I’ll only linger there a while
They are a part of me,
But I must go and bring things,
Bring things life
But the wind will blow me away again
And I will have to drift along
After watering the seeds that God planted
This is the purpose of my life
And as I’m writing this, it appropriately started raining outside. God is so wonderful.
We may not see visible evidence that we are affecting anybody, but we remain the fragrance of Christ. (2 Corinthians 2:14-15)
 
We may not have visibly attractive lives from the world’s point of view, but God has us right where He wants us and has great plans for us. (Jeremiah 29:11)
 
God has us in strategic places around the world so we can make intercession for those people He ordained for us to pray for and talk with. (Acts 1:8)
 
You may think, what’s special about being a student? What’s so special about working at Starbucks for minimum wage? Why have I lived in the same city for twenty-something years? But the truth is, if you weren’t a student in your specific classes, or an employee in your particular workplace, or still living in the specific community or neighborhood you have lived in for a lifetime, who else would reach the people you interact with on a daily basis?
 
Since the beginning of time, God knew the people you were going to come into contact with. He thought to Himself, “Oh, my darling child needs a Savior—I will send *insert your name here* to be a light to them.” And you may only be a part of the seed-watering phase of the operation. Then God may call you out to another place to reach other people. Like a cloud, you can only drift along with the wind of the Spirit.
 
 
You may never see the work God will do in those people in your lifetime. Oh, but when you reach heaven’s shore, and God hits “play” on the film documenting the grand scheme behind your life and those lives whom you have touched, you will stand back utterly amazed, mouth agape, and praise your God forever and ever. That’s what heaven is all about, right? Our God is so awesome and worthy of praise. He’s got crazy, mind-blowing plans for us. How undeserving we are! But how gracious God is toward us!
 
Case in point: trust in Him, you little cloud.
 
You have a great purpose for your life. You may go unnoticed, you may feel like nothing special or significant, but have faith that God is indeed using you to water His seeds. And one day, our faith shall be our eyes.
 
How exciting it is to be a cloud.
 

“Will we allow Him to help Himself to us, or are we more concerned with our own ideas of what we are going to be?”

~ Oswald Chambers
“For we are God’s workmanship, created in Christ Jesus to do good works, which God prepared in advance for us to do.”
~ Ephesians 2:10 NIV

"How refreshing to know You don't need me,

How amazing to find that You want me ..."

~ Casting Crowns
 

 


 

1 comment:

  1. Hey girl! Just wanted to let you know that I read this and think it's a good encouragement. Love you!

    ReplyDelete